Friday, September 2, 2011

Harvest Astoria CSA

This Wednesday one of my coworkers who also lives in Astoria asked me to do her a favor and pick up her CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) share for her this week since neither she or her boyfriend could make it. We had previously talked about how close I live to the pick-up location so it was an easy sell. Also, she said I could keep whatever I wanted so long as she got her eggs and milk which was really all she needed that week. I was easily convinced that this was a good idea since I've always wanted to try a CSA out but didn't realize there were any so easily accessible.
Fridge full of vegetables!

After getting home from work, I checked the address, Sean and I grabbed some reuseable bags and headed out the door. We were thrilled when we realized the pick up location is the church that is literally at the end of our block (I knew it was close, but not THAT close!). When we arrived we signed in, then picked out our veggies. It took about 15 minutes and we headed home with 3 bags full of food. This week it was squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, greens, napa cabbage, watermelon, and carrots, but the offering changes often.

Mixing a salad with all the great veggies. I only added chickpeas.

It seems like there are some unique aspects to Harvest Astoria. First the share sizes are meant to feed 2-3 people so they are smaller than what other CSAs may offer. Second, you get to select and weigh your own produce. While this takes a little longer and some people might see it as a negative, it helps keep costs down and I can definitely see the perks to choosing your own tomatoes and squashes etc. depending on what you like and what you plan to do with them.


While I was making this delicious salad with all the veggies, I sighed heavily several times thinking about how much I wish I could just pick up amazing organic veggies every week. We are determined to try to get in on this for next summer. It's around $350 for the summer. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment