Saturday, June 1, 2013

Tips for moving into a tiny apartment

1.  Make peace with getting rid of stuff. New rule: if you haven't used something in over a year, you probably don't need to keep it.

2. CLEAN. Scrub. Wipe down. Do it again. Because the bathroom walls and oven nobs have probably never seen a sponge and they will be better for it. Celebrate the hidden OCD clean freak inside you and let it out.

3. Unpack immediately. Boxes take up a lot of space when you don't have much space to begin with.

4. Get rid of more stuff as you unpack it.

5. Have friends over as soon as possible. This will automatically brighten up a space that doesn't feel like home.

6. When in doubt, go to Ikea. But try not to buy too much stuff.


That's it for now. After some minor moving mishaps and severe dust allergies we are mainly settled and enjoying our new neighborhood!



2 comments:

  1. Great tips although I think it's okay to unpack later if it's not food. Also, when moving, I like to ensure that I have everything I within reach so I try to pack an overnight bag for my immediate needs. I did this the last time I moved to Sherman Oaks apartments .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Severe dust allergies for the lose :-( Dan doesn't let me do certain cleaning projects because I practically have an asthma attack when I try to do them...and I don't have asthma.

    ReplyDelete