Sunday, February 12, 2012

Elimination Diet Week 3

This week the sadness of not being able to eat out hit hard, and prompted us to plot out the rest of our diet on a calendar so we know when we can officially look forward to being done. March 16th, just in time for St. Patrick's Day!

We tested tomatoes and potatoes this week. Tomatoes seemed to give me a bit of a stomach ache but nothing major, Sean has not been feeling great during the potato phase. Today we're starting peppers and I can already tell it's not going to go very well for me.

One thing I have been loving about this diet is the new foods it is forcing us to cook. This week we made homemade tomato soup for the first time and loved it. I'm sure we'll make it in the future, along with nori rolls, stuffed squash, and some of the other great soup and curry recipes we have been using for the diet.

I've realized that we weren't eating so badly before we started. When we actually cooked at home, most of the recipes were heavy on vegetables, beans, and whole grains. However, it's very easy to go out to eat, order in, or eat food that isn't great for you just because it's there (ahem, candy drawer at work, I'm looking at you). I'm hopeful that after 6 weeks of NOT eating out, the habit of cooking most meals at home will stick.

This week after peppers, we are adding beans and all nuts other than peanuts. I'm very excited to make some of my favorite chickpea recipes, and to pull the walnuts and almonds to the front of the cupboard.

In non-food related news, Downton Abbey! Great show, you should watch it. The episodes are available on PBS.org. Do it. Now.

1 comment:

  1. Did you roast the tomatoes? I have a great recipe for roasted tomato basil soup I can send you. It's great in summer, and even cold.

    ReplyDelete