Sunday, February 5, 2012

Week 2 Update

Brown rice nori rolls

The second week of the Elimination Diet was an interesting experiment in some good meals and some pretty bad ones. We added lemon, lime, and tamari.

Monday night we made a delicious kale salad with a lemon/garlic dressing. Unfortunately the next day at lunch I felt like I was eating grass.

Tuesday night was a really good lentil soup that made a big pot, big enough for our dinner guest, Sean's Dad, and two lunches the next day.

Wednesday night things went very badly with a rice salad and too many scallions that left a horrible taste in your mouth.

Thursday night we created a bok choy, napa cabbage, carrots, and onion stir fry. It was ok, but when you're used to spicy peanut sauces, it's hard to get excited about a little lime juice and tamari.

Friday night we made an interesting dish with kale and coconut and discovered that the new kind of quinoa we bought tasted horrible.

Stuffed acorn squash, fabulous!

This weekend we made our own sushi filled with avocado, cucumber and other fresh veggies. It was delicious and not at all as difficult as you'd imagine. Definitely something we will do again! We also discovered fried sweet potato breakfast "hash" with some cooked beans and collard greens, and tonight are making a lentil/sweet potato Shepard's pie while we watch the Superbowl on our computers and avoid drinking the one beer that is left in our fridge.

I've noticed this week that I have been in an overall better mood and am not feeling as stressed about various situations. Sean and I have been nicer to each other. However, we are both sick of cooking every single meal.

This week we are adding tomatoes, peppers, and then potatoes. These are the foods I am expecting to be sensitive to, so in few days I'll know for sure!

2 comments:

  1. Your Nori rolls look GREAT! Love making our own Nori or other sushi rolls. You get a little better at it over time, but it would take a lot to be as good as the sushi chefs at Aka on West Ave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ugh the quinoa thing happened to me too (unless you are referring to red quinoa or something). You are supposed to rinse it before you cook it to get the "bitter" taste out. I NEVER do this because I found it didn't make a difference, but this week Whole Foods had containers of quinoa sitting out so I grabbed one of those instead of the usual bag or bulk I get. I made it without rinsing as usual and it was horrible! I will be rinsing it from now on just in case.

    ReplyDelete