Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Twenty-five


Today is my birthday. I have thought for a while about what to say about today, which is really just another day that I am probably going to be five minutes late for work and complain about the humidity, but not just another day at all. But at the risk of rambling and sounding cryptic, I have to say something.


This past year of being 24, I have often found myself thinking that we just had to survive, we just had to push through. We didn't have to make big plans, we didn't have to be very productive, we just had to live through each day. It was ok if we spent the whole weekend on the couch watching episode after episode of Mad Men. It was ok if we ordered Thai food again. It was ok if we didn't know where we'd be in five years. Of course, despite myself, it ended up being a busy year with big plans made, and in many ways a great year.


Now that we are on the other side of this one year mark, I know there isn't going to be a magic change that stops painful memories from springing to mind on the subway, or happy moments being tinged with sadness. I do have one good feeling about today, which is that I am confident that after supporting each other through some very difficult times and a year full of grieving, Sean and I can and will be able to handle whatever life throws at us in the years to come. I wouldn't wish that full knowledge on any young couple, but it is nice to know. So we are going to celebrate my birthday today the best that we are able and continue to take the good with the bad.

6 comments:

  1. I love you guys and I am think of you two today :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you guys and I am think of you two today :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Ruth. I look to the relationship you & Sean share with such admiration & respect. Love to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything you said is so very true. Love and hugs to you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures of Monica. Good memories despite the sadness. love you.

    ReplyDelete