Friday, January 3, 2014

2014

2013 will henceforth be known as the year of the tiny apartment, or when I learned how much space/stuff I really need. Looking back, it was a pretty great year.

In January and February we did not hibernate as usual and instead were quite busy getting out and about even in blizzards. I thought a lot about moving and started trolling apartment listings.

In March we had a fun family weekend in Chicago and towards the end of the month started a real apartment hunt. In April I went to San Francisco for work and then we found our new apartment!

In May we went to every restaurant we loved in Astoria and felt sad about leaving our very first New York City apartment.

In June we were both very busy and we finally moved. I turned 26 and realized that there was now a Shake Shack within walking distance of my apartment. Sean assembled a lot of new furniture.

In July Miriam and Aaron came to visit and we struggled through two heat waves. We took a weekend trip to Philadelphia.

In August we took a long trip to Michigan and my Mom got married! Our new nephew Hudson was born and I showed his picture to anyone who would look. In the process of this trip I flew on standby for the first time (not by choice). Fun!

In September we visited Jocelyn and Cory for Labor Day weekend and then celebrated our three year wedding anniversary. I fell in love with New York City all over again, as one does in the fall.

October was mainly quiet, Michael visited and I tried to keep a Mum plant alive. Sean turned 27.

In November I wrote about hosting guests in a tiny apartment after Jocelyn and Cory spent the weekend with us. We went to Michigan for Thanksgiving and finally met Hudson who I proclaimed to be the best baby ever.

In December I went to Chinatown for the first time and we watched a ton of cheesy Christmas movies. We went to a bunch of holiday parties and back to Michigan for Christmas.

And now it's 2014!

At the start of 2013 I had some goals for the year of things I wanted to do/see in New York. They were:
-Go to a Mets or Yankees game.
-Explore more of Queens.
-Go to the Museum of Natural History.
-Take a trip somewhere on the East Coast that is easily reached from here.
-Eat at Franny's in Brooklyn.

We never really did get to explore more of Queens but that doesn't mean it won't happen in the future. I also STILL have not been to the Museum of Natural History (I do not count the one night there for a work event) but am hoping to remedy that next weekend. Happy to report this year I did go to a Yankees game, we took a trip to Philadelphia using public transportation, and we ate at Franny's along with a ton of other great new restaurants. 

I have been thinking about resolutions and things I want to accomplish in 2014 but those ideas are not quite fully developed yet so they will have to wait for another day. 



No comments:

Post a Comment