Monday, February 18, 2013

When I finally get a new umbrella

Both Sean and I have today off from work and school. Miracle of miracles. And it is my day to recover from a busy weekend that involved all kinds of good stuff including: Shake shack, a (too too cute) baby, one shopping trip where Sean finds pants at the Gap and I give up on ever shopping there again, a very playful dog, one dinner party, one taxi ride home, sleeping in, two bagels, a trip to a modern art museum where we all remember why we don't really love modern art, favorite lentil tacos, playing just dance, and searching YouTube for the best songs of 2004.

Really though, the point of this post is about the state of my umbrella. I love umbrellas. Because I hate being caught without one in the rain. Or you could say that I enjoy being prepared. Either way, I usually have one in my purse if there is slightest chance of rain and I always, always carry one in my suitcase while traveling.

I have been using a bright orange umbrella for over two years. This umbrella was a product of the great umbrella buying of 2010, two days before our wedding when the forecast said rain. It was a part of a family of colorful umbrellas that made for one of the best wedding photos we have. Most of these umbrellas went off with friends after the wedding, but a couple came to New York with us and have since met their umbrella deaths (as all umbrellas surely do on windy and rainy days in New York City). The orange umbrella was really no different than all the other umbrellas, but it has proven itself to be much sturdier and capable of withstanding hurricanes and blizzards. It has often been the source of glares on the street, since all the other city umbrellas tend to be black, not neon orange. And I have often hated it. Sean has listened to me go into great detail about how I needed a "nice" umbrella.

Well, this weekend I finally found one. Reasonably priced but not so cheap that you just know it will fall apart after three rain storms. With a fun pattern. And I bought it. And now I'm just not sure I can say goodbye to my trusty/dirty orange umbrella with the destroyed velcro strap.

The end.

Yes this was a blog post about mainly nothing.

2 comments:

  1. This is one area where we are totally unalike. I hate umbrellas (after getting hit by them and dripped on by them non-stop in Chicago). I was definitely saved by a few over the summer in Mexico City's downpours, but I refuse to carry one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a number of umbrellas in my car left over from all three wedding rain showers.

    ReplyDelete